Saturday, March 5, 2011

Museum of Modern Art


First of all I would just like to say that I love art and I love museums. Therefore art museums are one of my favorites things in the whole wide world. My family used to travel around a lot. One summer we spent 13 weeks in our R.V. traveling from Fort Worth to North Carolina and back. We have made a lot of trips in our R.V. spanning almost the entire country. The best way to describe my family's traveling style is basically "from museum to museum." I have seen museums about Native American cliff dwellers in Arizona, Old Plantations in Mississippi, President's homes in Virginia and Air and Space Museums in D.C. I'd say that if you love museums go to Washington D.C. because there is something for everyone there.
Out of all the museums I have been to I love the art museums the most and usually the modern art museums best of all. They usually have the most interesting architecture and the most thought provoking work. The Modern Art Museum here in Fort Worth is no different. Its one of my favorite buildings here and by far one of the most "modern" in this cow town.
The reason why I love modern art so much is because its purpose isn't obvious. You have to really sit and ponder each piece as you go. Why did the artist paint/sculpt/create this? What does it mean? What does it represent. Often times when confronted with modern art I am perplexed as to what I'm actually looking at. I think its always important to read the descriptions of each piece of art that the museum provides on the wall. It is very important in a museum of modern art. I remember looking at a painting that was a solid color with a ride line right through the middle. At first glance it didn't look like much. However, after reading the artist's description of his work I learned that the solid background represented the artists life, and the red line represented God and His influence on the artist's life. Now it makes sense.
I think some people approach modern art the wrong way. You can't walk into a modern art and expect to understand every piece. Some of the works are not meant to be understood. But I sincerely believe that every piece of art has intent. There is a purpose to its creation and there is a reason why its hanging on the wall. A lot of people become frustrated with modern art because they see the work and say, "I could do that." But the fact is, you aren't doing it. The artist felt compelled to create and that's what he or she did. Thats what separates us from the artists. They are actually doing it, they are really creating. As viewers we are just observing, and we have to remember to appreciate their efforts of creation.
My favorite piece of art in the Fort Worth museum is the first one you see as you enter the building,"Drape" by Joseph Havel. There is something about this sculpture that I love. If I could I would put this piece in the entry way of my home (that is, when I have a home.. and not a dorm room). I would love to be able to look at it everyday, all day if I wished. I think the reason I like it so much is because it appears to be a drape made of cloth, simply suspended in the air. However when you get closer you see that it is made of metal. How did Havel manipulate the metal to make it look so pliable? The piece looks as though it could fall to the ground with the simple touch of a finger. Its strength is secret.

1 comment:

  1. My family also did a lot of traveling by RV when I was a kid! We took an 8 week trip to Quebec when I was six and stopped at every single museum/historical landmark/educational whatever you could think of. The "drape" wasn't there when I went but I definitely thought it was made of cloth until I read the rest of your blog! It takes so much talent to create something like that. I love it.

    ReplyDelete