Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cat in the Rain

I think I am completely missing the meaning behind this story. I think the best way to figure out what I'm missing to first state what I know.

-There are two Americans, George and the Americ-an wife or girl (she is referred to as both)
-They are staying in a hotel in Italy
-It is raining
-There is a cat outside the window that is sitting under a table trying to not get wet. The wife is looking at the cat and decides that she wants it. She decides to go downstairs to get the cat and the American (her husband) says, "Don't get wet."
-The wife likes the hotel keeper. "She liked the deadly serious way he received any complaints. She liked his dignity. She liked the way he wanted to serve her. She like the way he felt about being a hotel-keeper. She liked hid old, heavy face and big hands."
-She is about to head outside when a maid comes to her with an umbrella in her hand. The maid was sent by the hotel keeper.
- The Maid says, "You must not get wet."
-When the American girl gets outside the Cat is gone and "she was suddenly disappointed.
-She re-enters the hotel and the hotel keeper bows at her. "Something felt very small and tight inside the girl. The padrone made her feel very small and at the same time really important. She had a momentary feeling of being of supreme importance." ???
-"It isn't any fun to be a poor kitty out in the rain."
-She looks at herself in the mirror starts talking about how she wants her hair to be longer. "I get so tired of looking like a boy." Why does she suddenly feel less feminine?
-Then she lists things that she wants. "I want to eat at a table with my own silver and I want candles. And I want it to be spring and I want to brush my hair out in front of a mirror and I want a kitty and I want some new clothes."
-Her husband tells her to shut up and find something to read
-She then states, "I want a cat. I want a cat now. If I can't have long hair or any fun, I can have a cat."
-Then the maid knocks on the door with the cat in her hands and says, "The padrone asked me to bring this for the Signora."

Do the padrone and the American have some sort of connection? Why is he so protective of her wishes and feelings?

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, why does she want a cat??? Dogs are fit to be much better companions. But I suppose that is a topic for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment